Artificial Intelligence Could Help Both Sides Realize Business Objectives
FOSTER CITY, Calif. — February 14, 2019 — Conversica, Inc., the leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) for business, today announced the results of its Sales and Marketing Collaboration Study. Earlier this month more than 100 marketing and sales professionals were surveyed by Propeller Insights for Conversica about how the two sides could work better together. This is crucial, because when there’s tight alignment between these two groups, there is usually a direct and positive impact on company performance.
A majority of sales respondents (58 percent) believe the number one tension between marketing and sales is that marketing is more forward-looking, while sales is more focused on immediate results. Only 3 percent of marketing professionals agreed with this assessment. Additionally, a quarter of marketers assert that marketers are strategic, while sales people have shorter attention spans.
The research discovered that marketing professionals are more optimistic when it comes to describing their relationship:
- 38% of marketers say there is perfect synergy, versus 27% of sales
- 68% of sales say the relationship is good but could be better
- 3% say the sales and marketing relationship is tense but workable, and 2% say it is dysfunctional
- 47% of marketing participants describe sales as their comrade-in-arms, versus 35% of sales
What can executives do to help their sales and marketing teams work better together to achieve company goals?
“Team members from both sales and marketing – or any other departments, for that matter – must understand that the failure to meet company revenue targets is a shared responsibility,” said Rashmi Vittal, CMO of Conversica. “Meeting targets requires a cross-functional array of superpowers. Knowing who possesses what superpower is a key to success. When businesses establish processes and put tools in place that build trusted relationships among sales and marketing, they enable such understanding. That also translates into building better relationships and experiences for prospects and customers.”
This is a challenge, but the right technology can make it much easier. For example, solutions based on artificial intelligence can help address sales and marketing alignment. Conversica’s own commissioned research study shows that 93 percent of sales people and 87 percent of marketing people said that AI can help improve relationships between their teams. More than half (57 percent) of marketing pros said AI already has made working with sales better.
“In fact, we’ve seen that solutions based on AI, like our conversational AI assistants, can more tightly align sales and marketing,” said Vittal.
AI assistants improve sales and marketing relationships in several ways:
- Relieve the tension between marketing and sales, because 100 percent of their leads will be followed-up in a two-way, personalized, human-like conversation.
- Identify marketing funnel “hand-raisers” faster and those at risk of abandoning before it’s too late.
- Take on a significant portion of the routine, yet important, repetitive tasks that come with lead follow-up, freeing up marketing to focus on delivering exceptional experiences and freeing up sales to focus on building trusted, high-value relationships with their prospects.
- Help make both departments more efficient and effective.
- Improve morale in both sales and marketing.
About Propeller Insights
Propeller Insights is a full-service market research firm based in Los Angeles. Using quantitative and qualitative methodologies to measure and analyze marketplace and consumer opinions, they work extensively across industries such as travel, brand intelligence, entertainment/media, retail, and consumer packaged goods.
Conversica is the leader in conversational AI for business and the only provider of AI-driven lead engagement software for marketing and sales organizations. The flagship Conversica® AI Sales Assistant helps companies find and secure customers more quickly and efficiently by automatically contacting, engaging, qualifying and following up with leads via natural, two-way conversations. Used by more than 1,000 companies worldwide, Conversica’s sales assistants are built on a proven and patented AI platform integrating natural language understanding (NLU), natural language generation (NLG), and deep learning capabilities and engage prospects over multiple communication channels and in multiple languages. The recipient of many analyst firm and industry awards, Conversica is a portfolio company of Providence Equity, Kennet Partners and Toba Capital and is headquartered in Foster City, Calif. To learn more, visit conversica.com and follow the company on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.